Order-of-Protection Lawyer

order of protection restraining order lawyer in new york-397268-edited

Perhaps you’ve received an order of protection (also known as a restraining order) , directing you to have no contact with your spouse, significant other, or family member. If so, you need an order-of-protection lawyer in NYC.

Orders of protection are issued by judges in Criminal Court and Family Court. They require the defendant to cease contact with another person.

Some orders of protection are known as “complete stay-away orders” or “no-contact orders.” Such orders not only ban in-person contact, but all forms of contact, including phone calls, texts, mail, e-mail, social networking, and communication through friends and relatives.

You must understand that the person protected by an order of protection has no authority to permit you to disobey the order. Only a court can modify or vacate an order of protection. Countless defendants have been lulled into violating orders of protection by the protected party, resulting in another arrest and additional criminal charges. Violating an order of protection will result in the violator being charged with “criminal contempt,” which in some cases is a felony.

Defending You from Criminal Contempt Charges

Contact Me

If you have a restraining order issued against you, I’m here to help you. Regardless whether the order of protection is temporary or permanent, there can be serious repercussions.

If the complaint was filed by your spouse, you may not be able to return home. This is especially difficult where children are involved. In addition, if you have a divorce pending, or if you have a child custody proceeding pending in Family Court, an order of protection could harm your legal position.

When you retain me as your lawyer, I’ll help you understand the charges against you. I’ll thoroughly examine the evidence in your case to determine if the charges are warranted. Many times the court is quick to issue these orders, especially temporary orders, without substantial evidence. You will, however, have a chance to contest these charges at trial.

It is imperative that you have a skilled lawyer to represent you in court. Domestic issues can be complex and often involve a lot of “He said — she said.” I help my clients establish the truth in these matters and ensure that their rights are protected.

Protecting Your Rights

As soon as an order of protection is issued against you, contact my law firm to discuss how I can help you resolve your case. Don’t take matters into your own hands by contacting your accuser. I will handle these issues for you.

  • Domestic violence
  • Spousal abuse
  • Stalking
  • Threats
  • Assault
  • Child abuse
  • Endangering the welfare of a child
  • Sexual abuse

Contact me to learn how I can help you defend against orders of protection that were issued in cases of any of alleged reasons above.